Bellator’s defending women’s featherweight champion Julia Budd officially won a split decision in a rematch against Arlene Blencowe but the result was a surprising one. Bellator 189 took place December 1st at the WinStar World Casino in Thackerville, OK with a main card broadcast on Spike TV.
The first meeting between Julia Budd and Arlene Blencowe ended in a majority decision for Budd but few objections due to Budd’s wrestling dominance. This rematch however took place mostly on the feet with Budd backing up and Blencowe moving forward with Blencowe seeming to score more. After five rounds of lackluster action Budd was announced the victor as her record climbed to 11-2 with nine wins in a row, her only two losses being to current UFC champion Amanda Nunes and former UFC champion Ronda Rousey. Blencowe who most seemed to have thought won the fight dropped to 10-7.
The co-main event saw ADCC Worlds vet Rafael Lovato Jr. defeat NCAA All-American wrestler Chris Honeycutt in arguably Lovato’s least exciting match to date. Lovato had the edge in scoring on the feet and threatened submissions when Honeycutt took him down leaving Honeycutt with little to show when the judges scored the fight. Lovato’s win kept his record perfect at 7-0 with three wins in Bellator, Honeycutt fell to 10-2 with his four-win streak broken.
The second-largest promotion has two more events scheduled this year with Bellator 190 on December 9th, Bellator 191 set for December 15th. The 9th is headlined by Rafael Carvalho defending the middleweight title against Alessio Sakara while the 15th UFC vet Rory McDonald finally make his UFC debut by taking on Peter Ligier.
Bellator 189 results
- Stephanie Geltmacher def. Ky Bennett by unanimous decision
- Brian Grinnell def Kemmyelle Haley 0:39 R1 by triangle choke
- Andrew Parker def. Frank Patterson 3:03 R1 by triangle choke
- Gaston Bolanos def. Rick Gutierrez 1:13 R1 by KO
- Mandel Nallo def Alec Williams 0:18 R1 by TKO
- Brandon Phillips def Jordan Howard by unanimous decision
- Juliana Velasquez def. Na Liang 0:32 R2 by armbar
- Sam Sicilia def. Marcos Galvao by unanimous decision
- Cris Williams def. Thomas Lopez 1:39 R1 by triangle choke
- David Rickels def. Adam Piccolotti by unanimous decision
- Chidi Njokuani def Hisaki Kato by unanimous decision
- Rafael Lovato Jr. def. Chris Honeycutt by unanimous decision
- WFW title: Julia Budd def Arlene Blencowe by split decision