The main event of M-1 Challenge 85 was a non-title fight for lightweight champion Damir Ismagulov but which Ismagulov won by judges’ decision after three rounds. M-1 Challenge 85 took place November 10th at the Olimpiyskiy in Moscow, Russia with a webcast through the promotion’s website.
Although Rogerio Karranca is a black belt in Muay Thai his belt in BJJ is “just” purple which showed against Damir Ismagulov’s ground-based strategy In round 1 Ismagulov pounded from half-guard while his punches from back control in round 2 would have finished the fight if not for the end of the round. By round 3 Karranca wasn’t even trying to stop the takedowns and barely defended himself but Ismagulov was still unable to put the Brazilian away with the commentators event wondering how many 10-8 rounds would Ismagulov take. The scores weren’t announced but there was no doubt Ismagulov about the unanimous decision which improved the champion’s record to 13-2 with eight wins in a row. Karranca’s nine-win streak came to a halt as his record rests at 13-3.
Nate Landwehr picked up a decision over Victor Kolesnik in the co-main event. Landwehr took round 1 but was staggered twice in round 2 which went to Kolesnik. With both fighters bleeding from cuts the third round was close as Landwehr continu7ed to move forward to land a big right hand but unlike the main event Kolesnik gave back almost as much as he gave until the final bell. In the end Landwehr was awarded to decision improving his record to 10-2 while Kolesnik fell to 11-3.
M-1 Challenge results
- Vazha Tsiptauri def. Frederico Gutzwiller 0:32 R3 by guillotine choke
- Josh Rettinghouse def. Aleksander Lunga by decision
- Andrey Lezhnev def. Ilfat Amirov by decision
- Sergey Klyuev def. Oscar Suarez 0:45 R1 by armbar
- Ruslan Rakhmonkulov def. Maxim Divnich by decision
- Vitaliy Slipenko def. Kristijan Perak 2:19 R2 by rear-naked choke
- Maxim Yakobyuk def. Victor Trushov 1:16 R2 by side choke
- Arman Ashimov def. Rodrigo Melonio 3:27 R1 by KO
- Abubaker Mestoev def. Alexey Makhano 3:27 R1 by KO
- Giga Kukhalashvili def. Sebastian Heil 1:16 R1 by KO
- Nate Landwehr def. Victor Kolesnik by decision
- Damir Ismagulov def. Rogerio Karranca by decision