November’s UFC return to the Big Apple now has a third title fight.
UFC 217 takes place Nov. 4 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FS1 and UFC Fight Pass.
The UFC’s first event in New York City, UFC 205, took place in November 2016 and also featured three title fights. Jedrzejczyk competed on that card, as well.
Jedrzejczyk is No. 1 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA women’s strawweight rankings, and Namajunas is No. 6.
Jedrzejczyk, the 25-year-old Polish fan favorite, looks for her 15th straight victory and sixth consecutive title defense. Since winning the belt with a TKO victory over Carla Esparza in 2015, she’s defended the belt with a TKO win over Jessica Penne and decision victories over Valerie Letourneau, Claudia Gadelha, Karolina Kowalkiewicz and Jessica Andrade.
Jedrzejczyk’s victory over Andrade gave her a fifth title defense – one short of the UFC women’s record held by ex-bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey.
She now meets Namajunas, who was the runner-up on “The Ultimate Fighter 20,” where she fell one win short of winning the show and claiming the inaugural title following a submission loss to Esparza. However, since that initial title loss, the 25-year-old has won four of five fights. Most recently, she rebounded from a narrow split-decision defeat to Kowalkiewicz with a submission victory over Michelle Waterson in April. It was her fifth submission in six career victories.
The latest UFC 217 card includes:
- Champ Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre – for middleweight title
- Champ Cody Garbrandt vs. T.J. Dillashaw – for bantamweight title
- Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Rose Namajunas – for women’s strawweight title
- Ricardo Ramos vs. Aiemann Zahabi
- Paulo Borrachinha vs. Johny Hendricks
- Curtis Blaydes vs. Aleksei Oleinik
- Gadzhimurad Antigulov vs. Ion Cutelaba
- Jorge Masvidal vs. Stephen Thompson
- Corey Anderson vs. Patrick Cummins
- Tom Duquesnoy vs. Cody Stamann